Visit the all-music companion site, the MusicBox!

Editor's Note: The MusicBox link will be back up shortly...


12.16.2008

Art: Edvard Munch accompanied by Social Distortion


Night in St.Cloud (1890)


These are some of my favourite paintings by Norwegian Expressionist Edvard Munch (1863-1944). These speak to me as Munch's art is, in his own words, "art created of one's innermost heart". For many years when I would see Munch's painting, I found it unpleasant and threatening, I didn't care for it. It wasn't until I had experienced great grief in my life that I came to appreciate, and love, it.


The Scream (1893)


I find Munch's work comforting, in that it clearly reminds one that no matter the depth of grief, fear, despair, etc., others have felt it. I find this helpful when it seems the whole world is happy and carefree, and uncaring, and even close people to us betray us right at the time we need them most, with no love or compassion. I feel that Munch is saying to us not only, this is the visual expression of what you are feeling, and I have felt it, but also that a sense of caring and warmth of understanding comes through those paintings as well, cold and desperate as they may seem at first.

I have added a song here which I think accompanies this post well: Mike Ness and Social Distortion performing Cold Feelings:

1 comment:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -