Visit the all-music companion site, the MusicBox!

Editor's Note: The MusicBox link will be back up shortly...


12.30.2008

Poem of the Week: Walt Whitman

I try to do this on Sundays, but hey! So without further delay... Here are two poems by Walt Whitman from 1865. Check your string theory at the door.

When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer

When I heard the learn'd astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon accountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.


A Farm Picture

Through the ample open door of the peaceful country barn,
A sunlit pasture field with cattle and horses feeding,
And haze and vista, and the far horizon fading away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -