Visit the all-music companion site, the MusicBox!

Editor's Note: The MusicBox link will be back up shortly...


12.13.2008

William Powell: Actor Extraordinaire



As I am planning to watch a William Powell film sometime this weekend, I thought a little Powell appreciation is in order.

If you are not a classic film fan like myself, and are not familiar with Mr. Powell in films you are truly missing something, and owe it to yourself to check his work out post haste! He is without a doubt one of the most talented actors of Hollywood's classic era.

His comedic timing is perfect. He can play drama, mystery, leading man... and his charm and wit shine through in every role. I don't know that I've seen a film of his which I didn't like, or didn't think he was good in. Double Wedding is not the best film, but during the filming Powell's longtime love Jean "Mousie" Harlow passed away, and the strain is apparent both on Powell, and co-star Myrna Loy, a good friend of both Harlow and Powell. Yet his professionalism is apparent even under duress.

Powell and Loy are most famous for the Thin Man series, and as much has been said about that classic series, I would like to also recommend their other efforts together, especially Love Crazy and I Love You Again. There are numerous laugh-out-loud moments in both of these, beyond the initial viewing. Please, if you haven't checked out Powell's films in any depth, do him and yourself a favour and do so... I think you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -